Friday, August 8, 2014

The Only Thing that Counts.

I really enjoy Zach Braff.  He is famous for his comedy tv series Scrubs, but I think he's a great dramatic actor as well. His performance in Garden State is excellent and that whole movie made a big impact on me. His ability to juggle both comedy and drama so skillfully reminds me of Alan Alda from M*A*S*H (although he could never be as good as Alan Alda). I'm excited to see Zach Braff's new movie, Wish I Was Here, (which is now in theaters - free plug) and my anticipation has led me to re-watch a couple of his older movies.

In 2006, Braff starred in The Last Kiss, which I love in the same sort of way that I love Sam Smith's song "Stay".  Its undeniably painful and heart wrenching. I don't know how anyone could watch it and not think, "I never want that to be like that".  The movie follows a group of men as they face turning 30 without a clue as to who they are, what they want to do with their lives, or how to actually love someone. Braff's character, Micheal, ends up cheating on his pregnant girlfriend with some hot, young college girl. Micheal is (in my opinion) entirely dishonorable and reprehensible. He lies, uses, abuses, and betrays both his girlfriend and the "other woman" just because he is scared his life is going to be "boring" if he has to commit his life to one woman and their unborn child.  He is somehow redeemed by spending two or three days camped out on his girlfriend's porch in order to prove his "love" to her (I'm not buying it).

When exactly did it become a virtue to hurt the people you are supposed to cherish just so you can "find yourself"?

However, in the midst of these inarguably pathetic and very "typical" romantic entanglements, there is a beautiful message:






Link to video for mobile users here.



Image source here.


Image source here.

No comments:

Post a Comment