Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve Confession and How I'm a Yurodivy

My confession is I am incredibly discouraged and I hate writing this blog.  Did you know that?  I've been working on Your Body as Sacred Part II for two months.  I can't seem to get it out.  Why? Because, I. hate. this. blog.  Why?  It's depressing that there is even a need for it.  It's very depressing to me that most people view themselves as just highly evolved animals and sex as a mere recreational activity, that most people are entirely numb to the vast spiritual affects it is supposed to have.  I hate that I feel compelled to try and speak up against that.  I blame God for that.  It is surely His fault that I can't just stick my head in the sand and not think about it.  I hate how terribly un-cool and foolish I look to the world.  I'm not one of those haughty Christians who apparently don't give the slightest damn what people think of them.  I'm not immune to harsh and hurtful words.  Maybe I'm stupid, but I'm not so stupid that the world's judgement just rolls off me like water off a duck's back.   I was watching a segment of Dr. Drew's show and he called a woman pursuing purity "sexually anorexic" (source here).  That really sums up the predominant attitude I come in contact with.  I am frequently taunted and heckled by peers and even members of my family.  I had a guy break up with me because I wouldn't "at least" give him a hand job.  My mother has told me she doesn't think men are "built for monogamy".  My brother has told me I'm "messed up".  My father told me it was my fault my very first relationship ended because I was "torturing the poor kid" by not giving him sex.  People closest to me with the greatest capacity to hurt me have tried to convince me that sex is "just physical" and that I have got it "wrong" and that my understanding that sex is sacred is a DELUSION.    I'm not immune.  Don't worry, I feel those blows as keenly as if I had bruises blossoming over my heart and gut and across my face.  Really, I often just feel beaten up.  I get it.  I'm stupid.   I understand.  Therefore, very often, I just plain hate sex and I hate myself for being so stupid, for trying to hang on to a "delusion" for over a decade that seemingly does nothing for me except open me up to all sorts of hurt.  A delusion that I'm not even sure is even possible to have fully realized on this earth.  A delusion that I'm not even that great at upholding!  I'm no example of perfect purity.  Maybe thats the most discouraging.  Not only am I stupid but I'm not even that great at being stupid.  I am a fool.

I was laying in bed last night until about 3am just thinking about how stupid I am and to comfort myself I pulled out my iPhone to google for a Bible verse I knew of but couldn't recall verbatim:


For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.  For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”
Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?  For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.  Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,  but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.  For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.
Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.  But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.  God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,  so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.  Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”

1 Corinthians 1:18-31


I'd like to tell you about the term "yurodivy".  It is a word that the Russian orthodox church uses to describe a "holy fool".  A person described as a yurodivy is believed to have special enlightenment, a divine understanding, but their actions make them foolish to the world.  The term is specifically used to describe several "saints" in the Russian orthodox church but over the years the word has carved out its own place in Russian culture.  I like this word. It's quite interesting really; check out the links at the end of this blog entry.  I am currently reading Kisses from Katie about a college-aged woman who ended up moving to Uganda, adopting 14 orphaned girls and beginning the Amazima ministry. See here.  I was telling my brother about her; he said it sounded like she "had a couple screws loose."  See? Yurodivy.

So I have this little blog, and I stand on this little soap box even when I don't feel like it (which is most of the time).  I'll stand here and boast in the Lord about my favorite "should be"  even if I never see it make a difference.  Even if I never see the delusion realized or feel respected and cherished as I think I should be.  Even if my attempts to honor others are rebuffed and derided.  I will stand here and boast in the Lord and take the blows as they come.  I will wear the label of a yurodivy as Christ wore "King of the Jews".  I'm a yurodivy in many more ways that just pursuing purity or being "sexually anorexic" as Dr. Drew would say.  Yes, I'm quite a fool.  To think that life is so precious and that Christ's love is more powerful than any and all evil.  To try to follow His commandments.  That I should make myself the least of these and spend my life serving.  But I love Him, and He says if I love Him than I will follow His words.  So I try.

To return to my "beaten up" analogy.  I very often picture myself that way.  Maybe I enjoy too many fantasy epics like Lord of the Rings, but I can see myself, battered, broken, bruised and bleeding. My clothing filthy, tattered and my armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18) rusted and long past usefulness.  I can see myself falling to my knees at the feet of Christ, utterly spent.  Maybe begging, "I tried, really I tried, I tried."  Maybe saying nothing and just sobbing bitter tears that make streaks down my dirty face.  Full of my own regret for doing so little and falling so short.  Then, He puts His glorious hand under my worthless chin and makes me look at Him, and I'll hear those words every Christian hopes they hear upon their death.

"Well done, good and faithful servant."

And I won't mind that I was so stupid.


So, Christian readers, my hope for you is that you have a very foolish 2014 and you stand firm in all your hope and conviction no matter how stupid the world makes you feel.


Everyone else, Happy New Year, live long and prosper.


Yurodivy links:








No comments:

Post a Comment