Friday, December 26, 2014

Now and Then

Now and then, I read something that makes me think, "Ok, I'm done. I can stop writing now."

Every once in a while, I read something that harmonizes so well with the throb of my own heart that I have to applaud it and offer it up as a better and more succinct expression of my own ideals than I can manage myself (as I am prone to pontificating and taking far too long to make my point).

So, I give you: "sarahisawriter" from Tumbler and her blogpost "Christians, stop staying pure until marriage."

Just so much yes, particularly this passage regarding her desire not to "lose" her purity:

"Sex is precious. It’s one of the most beautiful and mysterious gifts God gave mankind (next to coffee and dark chocolate and peanut butter—completely different blogs.) It’s the emotional connection, the physical glue, and the spiritual hemming of two bodies becoming one soul in complete selflessness till a call from eternity separates them indefinitely.

Marriage is the vow such intimacy lends itself to, the covenant it was created for. How terrible to understand the context of its power and think of it as something simply to be lost.

Call me crazy, but I don’t want to lose it. I want to give it away. I want to place it in the hands of the one whom I know will carry it with him. Because something freely given away isn’t something that’s recklessly abandoned. It’s held close, it’s treasured, it’s preserved with every smile, remembered in every kiss, and honored with every touch. It’s what makes every moment afterwards new again."


"It's what makes every moment afterwards new again."

Crapadoodles lemon-streudel. (My chosen expletive since kids I used to babysit read this blog.)

Such beautiful, beautiful thoughts...truth. I don't pray much for people whom I don't know, unless a mutual friend makes a request, but I will be praying for this young woman. I am so hoping that she never, ever has to let go of that beautiful truth and I hope God has a man for her who will treasure the entirety of her and that truth with her.

After she posted that blogpost, it went viral (mostly due to the provocative title) and promoted a wide range of reactions. In "How I Sold my Soul in 1,200 Words or Less", Sarah addresses the various responses she received. It is well worth the time to read. I particularly enjoyed her thoughts on the readers who appreciated her blogpost but who thought it was "too late" for them to apply the ideals to their own lives.

Heck, yes.

Keep writing, Sarah.





No comments:

Post a Comment